We attended a new ward today - our 6th new ward this year. I think that might be some kind of record. Fortunately, the church is the same everywhere: full of the spirit and kind people.
Last Sunday we had the Primary Program. I knew there was a different attitude when I found out there were three Saturday rehearsals, and a dress code. The Primary President even made lapels for the entire Primary, teachers, presidency and bishopric! Laird and the other nursery age children had lines and were expected to sing and sit on the stand for the program (no, they were not very reverent!).
The program was well written and had extra songs (some favorites added in). The songs had a bit of a karaoke feel as random children were selected the day before to sing solos. I suppose this is to be expected in a nation that adores videoke. There is usually someone singing karoke even in front of the grocery store! The children sing out like you have never heard: with gusto and volume!
The boys and I ended up attending two of the three rehearsals (I was at the piano). It was a great way to make friends and taste some new treats: fruit flavored cakes and bananaque (fried bananas on a stick). We missed the first rehearsal because we made a major mistake: we showed up at the advertised time. We failed to calculate Filipino time (30-60 minutes later, we learned).
The actual program delighted the audience. I have never seen such proud parents and leaders. Every child was smiled at and as they finished, received gentle laughter as appreciation. Laird said his lines very clearly and everyone laughed. Jeffrey caused a bit of a stir as well as he made his way down from the top row (he is very tall here) and the people around Pete said "He is an American!!"
Although some moment bordered on chaos and irreverence, the spirit was strong. The oldest children bore their testimonies at the end in their own words. They were a great example of the power of Primary.
I love Primary.
Awesome. I had a conversation with my dad once about the missionary program and the types of people (non-families with baggage) that seem to be most willing to accept the gospel. He said that the best reason to keep them (and their children) coming to church is Primary. I was surprised. But he also looks further into the future than I do and realizes the positive repercussions of children attending primary regularly - for the entire church.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post. Music in the church is whole different experience outside of the U.S. isn't it!
Also, glad to hear you were at the piano. How awesome for the members there to have you!!!!!!!
I so love hearing your experiences from over there!!!
ReplyDeleteHey, your program sounds exciting and a great memory. We had ours today and it was just your run of the mill program. The spirit was definitely there. It sounds like yours had impromptu moments which would have been both intertaining and inspiring!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are having fun in your new life!
I love primary, too. I love that it's has the same great feeling everywhere. You sound very happy.
ReplyDeleteOur Primary Program is coming up in two weeks! The ward before us had their program a week ago and had the ward members all fill out cards indicating what they liked about the program. These comments were then read to primary during sharing time. The presidency said that the children really enjoyed hearing the comments. (I suppose all of them were positive!) I am having a hard time getting the boys to sing out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I wish I could have heard Laird and Jeffrey give their parts. I miss you guys!
dear Sheralie,
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog and hearing about the details and your feelings about your adventures there in the philipines!
Love you!
Mom
Fried Bananas, yummy! Send the recipe. Of course, they have discovered your talents as a pianist. No rest for you Sheralie! What wonderful experiences you are having.
ReplyDeletep.s. I can't believe Lucy is now a one-year old!