Sunday, October 5, 2008

First Impressions

At the airport in Japan, it was neat, clean and quick. Except our line. It was backed up for a good 40 minutes. The customer service was kind, but inefficient with silly rules such as making us weigh ourselves and our carry-on baggage, and having to send the carseats as cargo.

On the airplane, I took Laird out and returned to find a swarm of flight attendants gawking at my husband and beaming at his great language skills. He is quite a celebrity here.

Once the flight attendant realized we had three children, she reassigned the passenger next to Lucy and I so we could have three seats to ourselves, the luxury! There was a broken arm rest and a broken footpiece, but the kind attention made up for it. I couldn't believe the love of the Filipino people. They are so warm and loving. After the East Coast, where children are clearly annoying to most people, it was a shock. Three little blond heads brings a slew of questions, and patient, understanding, helpful smiles.

Being on the plane, I just wished I could communicate with the Old Grandma who sat by me for five minutes, and the young mother behind me with a sad toddler.

My first impressions have been solidified. It is very poor here. Almost everywhere you turn, something needs repair. But the people - the people are remarkably kind, warm, and loving. Not necessarily helpful always, but they have good hearts.

I think I need to learn Tagalog.

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been waiting to hear from you forever. It sounds like you are already soaking the sunshine of the good Philippino people. I'm so proud of you! If anyone can learn Tagalog, you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering how you are doing! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are darling and so perceptive. I'm so glad to hear from you and to know you made it in one piece.

    Best of luck with all your adventures ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear from you! I've been so anxious to hear your report! :) I'm glad you all arrived safely...can't wait to hear of more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear from you! I glad to hear that you have had such a warm reception. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed by your bravery - I don't think I could do what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got that feeling on the east coast too and do not miss it at all!

    ReplyDelete