1. Every Christmas Eve, we would go as a family to see a movie at the theater. This stems from the fact that everyone counted down the minutes on Christmas Eve. We started in 1993 with "Rudy" and continued with such holiday favorites as "Lord of the Rings", "Family Man" and "Rocky VI".
2. One Christmas tradition that was eventually scrapped was Cream of Wheat on Christmas morning. Since we all hated it, but we all wanted to get through it, it was the only time we would ever eat it quickly. Eventually one Christmas we had some cousins over and they refused to eat it, and I think that was the last time it happened.
3. Sitting on Santa's lap.

4. The Nativity play and reading Luke 2
5. Chocolate coconut balls. I'm not sure why these aren't year round treats, but my mom would break out the chocolate-covered coconut balls around Christmas. These are insanely good. I distinctly remember devouring these one night with one of my good friends. Unfortunately, it was right before dinner, and we wound up feeling quite ill.
6. The Christmas Ham/Turkey. I was not aware of this tradition, but Sheralie told me that she usually makes a Christmas ham for dinner. She saw one of these delectable delights at our Costco equivalent today, but was forlorned to find the price to be $65. This tradition will be put on hold until we find some cheaper pigs. I think we will go back to the Christmas turkey, which Sheralie informs me my mother always makes for Christmas.
7. Christmas movies. How many great Christmas-themed movies are there? Topping the list is "It's a Wonderful Life" but also getting high marks in my book are "A Christmas Story", "Family Man", "A Christmas Carol" (the George Scott version), "Miracle on 34th Street" (i prefer the recent version), "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" (the cartoon, not Jim Carrey), "Christmas Vacation" and "Ernest Saves Christmas". I'm sure I am leaving some out.
8. Opening presents the night before. We have recently instituted this and I think it is a great idea. Why not have 12 days of Christmas opening presents, like the song? It spreads out the excitement and the kids have something to do. It would require you had at least 12 presents though, and shopping and shipping would have to be done well in advance. Just an idea.
9. Christmas TV. Every good series breaks out a holiday-themed episode. My favorite: Festivus. A holiday for the rest of us. Feel free to print up the picture below if you are running low on gift ideas.

10. Christmas cards. We're not getting a physical card off this year, but look for one next year. We'll start the logistics for that in February.
After reviewing the list, I realized that only one of these traditions has to do with the true meaning of Christmas, although in most of the Christmas movies people find the true meaning before the end. I really do love the holiday season and the kindness and thoughtfulness that come out in people. And most of all, it focuses people (including me) on Christ, which we could all use a little bit more.
Merry Christmas y'all! I was just doing my own Festivus post when this one popped up. I'm posting mine anyway!
ReplyDeleteCan Santa get through customs there? He couldn't in Russia (and there is no shopping), so Christmas was really sad for the kids that first year. When you're five and six all you really care about are the presents!
In response to #7, I would add "A Muppet Christmas Carol." We love it.
ReplyDeleteUm, chocolate coconut balls???
ReplyDeletethat's what I want for Christmas.
I love all your traditions - especially your 12 presents for everyone idea. That's a lot of presents!
How do you say Merry Christmas in Tagalog?
Maligayang Pasko!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas! That twelve days of Christmas is a good idea. . . We're opening our gifts with the kids on Monday before we fly out to visit family--we even wrote Santa a letter and he'll be coming early. I'm glad that he's been so accommodating because of the new baggage restrictions!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas! We miss you guys!
When we abandoned the Cream of Wheat, we replaced it with Creamed Eggs over toast, which was a great deal more popular. The basic concept was to start the day with something nutritious before all the candy and goodies!
ReplyDeleteMovies on Christmas Eve? That's almost sacrilegious in the Hansen family! We actually have done movies on Christmas Day a few times, but never regular enough to make it a tradition.
ReplyDelete