Monday, February 16, 2009

Spotlight on Lucy

I was reminded by another post from a friend that it is easy to forget things about kids. For instance, I barely remember Jeffrey at Lucy's age at all - the only thing that comes to mind is that he learned to climb out of his crib and injured himself a couple of times. So I thought I would treat this blog as a forum to tell you more about Lucy. This may only have interest to grandparents or siblings, but it is worth preserving for my memory's sake.


Lucy playing peek-a-boo with me on Valentine's Day



Peek-a-boo

Lucy at 15 months:

Lucy is getting a vocabulary: she can say "mama", "dada", "no", "more", "thank you", "bye-bye", "nana" (banana) and "cracker" pretty clearly. She also understands a lot of what we say to her.

Lucy loves playing with shoes. This has got to be a girl thing, because I don't recall Jeffrey or Laird ever caring so much about shoes. She tries on shoes all the time. She will drag her shoes (or anyone else's) with her throughout the house. She also loves playing with bracelets and necklaces.

My favorite part about being a dad right now is putting Lucy to bed. She is a darling. We put on her long pajamas with feet (she doesn't sleep well without footed pajamas) and then she waddles over the bookshelf and I help her pick out 4-5 books. Those books are great to read too, because they're short. Then I put her in her crib and sing a few songs to her with the lights out and leave the room. She almost never cries. And Sheralie is so happy that I am able to do it now that she is no longer breast feeding. Since I have started putting her to bed, Lucy also has started to bring me books throughout the day and have me read them to her. I love it when she turns around and scoots back into my lap.

Lucy is kind of a picky eater. Jeffrey and Laird ate voraciously, but Lucy, being the dainty princess, does not. She loves mangoes, bananas and juice, like her big brother Laird.

Lucy loves playing peek-a-boo, being thrown in the air and being pulled around in plastic containers. She tries to keep up with her brothers, but more often than not ends up being inadvertently hurt.

When I come home from work and kiss Sheralie, Lucy inevitably wants her kiss too. She makes great "mwaa" noises when she kisses. She is also good at blowing kisses if you are across the room.


At the beach


Since we have afternoon church yet again, I have developed the skill of getting Lucy to fall asleep in my arms. This takes a lot of strength to keep her up, but it sure makes church easier. She will also go to the nursery, where there are three boys all within three months of her and they play well, though she will cry if we leave.

Lucy used to sleep through the night quite well, but since we moved to Manila has lost that lovely attribute. She is usually our alarm clock in the morning, though if she is up for a while, she sometimes will sleep in a bit in the morning.

Lucy has been referred to as "Little Cindy Lou Who" because she is so small and petite. We love having her sweet spirit in our family.

To end, I leave you with one of my favorite Lucy videos, "Lucy Crockett":

11 comments:

  1. I love reading about your kids, it makes me feel close to Sheralie's life, since she is their Mom! Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very sweet. The picture of her playing peek-a-boo looks a lot like Pete's mom. The shoe thing--yeah, it is all girl. Isabel does the same thing. The other day we were at a shoe store trying on shoes for Ethan and I found Isabel down the aisle pulling down all the pink shoes and trying them on. They just know, they just know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, she is too cute. I'm glad you posted this - I haven't seen Lucy since she was tiny baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to find a t-shirt for Lucy that says--I Love Lucy--you know like the 50's tv show! She is getting so big. I am sure that she and Charlotte will have fun together this summer in Yellowstone. Charlotte has all kinds of shoes and loves them. I really like the picture of her at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to find a t-shirt for Lucy that says--I Love Lucy--you know like the 50's tv show! She is getting so big. I am sure that she and Charlotte will have fun together this summer in Yellowstone. Charlotte has all kinds of shoes and loves them. I really like the picture of her at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Lucy is a little cutie! And, the shoe thing is not a solely feminine trait since our Noah is obsessed with shoes. He will steal your shoes if you come to visit us so he can clomp around in them. I think with him it's more of a shoes=go thing, but whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy is very cute...her face kind of looks like her uncle mark's (but obviously the feminine version.) How do you get her to sleep in church??

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fun! She seems so fun! My daughter Aashini is 15 months too! So it's fun to see how they are alike and different - too fun!! When is Lucy's birthday? Aashini is Nov 7
    Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From what I remember, her face looks so much like Jeffrey's did back in the Chicago days. So sweet. I love it when they are little like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy was born November 1 - very close to yours SouthAsia.

    How do I get her to sleep? I hold horizontally in my arms and restrict most movement. This takes a lot of strength because she will put up resistance until she realizes you are serious. Then, with limited mobility and already being over-tired, she will fall asleep - the most was 1 hr 15 min. It doesn't always work, but if she doesn't take a nap prior to church, then 75% chance of success.

    I'm not sure I ever tried so hard with the boys, but they definitely never fell asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is very cute! Yes and the shoe thing is a girl thing. my boys never did it but Claire loves shoes and purses and pink.

    ReplyDelete