Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Doing the Laundry


I am thankful for a washer and dryer.

It seems that everywhere I turn, I see clothes hung up to dry. Makeshift laundry lines made between trees, on balconies, or just on the outside of a building. Whether I am at the park, at church, or at home, I can see clothing hanging in the polluted air. Washers must be scarce as well - the cost of the machine is prohibitive, as well as the cost of electricity. I watched a woman in the street scrubbing her laundry in an old bucket. Most women have do wash by hand every day.

3 comments:

  1. Most women in Russia do, too. Most did it in big plastic buckets, but I saw many each day that washed in the drainage ditches along the roads. Dryers are not even heard of, and laundry hangs wherever there is space.
    I love you, my W & D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible experience this must be for you! I, too, am thankful for a washer and dryer. It was SO hard not being able to throw loads in when I needed to when the power was out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for never making any comments before - I didn't even know you had your own blog!

    ReplyDelete