We are well into week three of living out of our suitcases, so we can't give you pictures, but I will tell you the highlights from our trip. It will be hard to do without pictures, but I will give it a shot.
1. DC to LA
Laird and Jeffrey were extremely excited to ride in a taxi - a minivan taxi at that. Our stuff barely fit.
Our inflight entertainment was the awful movie "Speed Racer". This entertained Jeffrey, while Laird chatted it up with the fellow sitting by the window. Halfway through the flight, Laird asked the guy if he could sit by the window, so we shuffled seats to accommodate him. Upon moving around, Laird looks at the guy and asks "Why are you sitting there?" Laird promptly fell asleep for the rest of the flight. Lucy was quite squirmy for the entire flight though, giving Sheralie fits.
We stopped at Carl's Jr. on the way home from the airport. Ah, Carl's Jr. In'N Out is the usual place, but we didn't see one.
After an enjoyable weekend in San Diego with Sheralie's family, we went back up to LA to fly out.
2. LA to Tokyo
On this flight we got the whole middle section of seats (5) for the family. We also had the little TVs where you could pick out what entertainment you wanted. I was initially excited, but the selection on these TVs were terrible! I did watch two Office episodes and suffered through Ocean's 13. After that, it was time for me to entertain the kids.
This was a full 12 1/2 hour flight. The kids did surprisingly well, though they did get antsy. With a combination of new books (many hours), play dough (15 min), the portable DVD player (an hour or so) and the inflight TV (half hour or so), Jeffrey and Laird didn't get too bored. Lucy was tough though, since nothing really entertains her. She also freaked out if she didn't see Sheralie. Everyone slept some (except Sheralie) and we made it to Tokyo in one piece. The boys and I slept for about the last 3 hours of the flight.
In Tokyo, I was happy to see free carts to push luggage around. We grabbed a couple and Jeffrey was a champ at pushing one, though I think we switched him to the stroller because there was a complicated brake mechanism on these carts.
At the Holiday Inn, I went down to the gym. Apparently the Japanese are famous for having tons of vending machines. There was one on my floor. I bought a gatorade for 200 yen. I couldn't tell what flavor it was. Even after tasting it, I had no idea what flavor it was.
I went down to the gym for a run. Unfortunately, the treadmill instructions and buttons were all in Japanese. After randomly pushing buttons, I finally got it started. I must have chosen the super mountain workout because I was running hills with 15 degree slopes. Painful.
We all went to bed around 8 pm Tokyo time, which was 4 am LA time. Jet lag soon reared its ugly head. Around 1:30, Lucy and Laird woke up wide awake. In an attempt to give Sheralie and Jeffrey some sleep, I took Laird and Lucy on a tour of the hotel. We met a guy in the lobby who apparently did not have a room. After an hour of roaming around, we came back to find that Jeffrey and Sheralie were wide awake too. We decided we would all go back to sleep at 3 am, which we did. Jeffrey was so excited about his book though that he woke up at 5 am and turned on a light and started reading, which woke up Lucy, which woke up Sheralie. Laird and I got a little more sleep but we were all up again by 6 and feeling kind of cranky.
3. Tokyo to Manila
They wouldn't let us bring our carseat on the plane for Lucy, even though we had been able the previous two flights. We were in Japan, going to Manila on Philippines Airlines and they asked me if the carseat had been approved by the FAA. What did the FAA have to do with their regulations? I didn't even know the FAA got into the carseat regulation business (I learned later they actually do). It worked out fine though since the flight was half empty and we got a row of three and a row of four to ourselves.
Once again the inflight entertainment was terrible. I guess this stems from most movies coming out being awful, but I had a vain hope for something good to watch. We were all exhausted from our adventure in Japan though, so we slept pretty soundly on the flight.
We touched down in Manila and were met by an "expediter" who got us through all the hoops and into our huge van to take us to our place. So we are now here, in our temporary housing, which we are glad is only temporary, since we don't have a dishwasher, internet or cable and Lucy is sleeping in our room. They did give us a DVD player, but upon trying it out, it only plays DVDs from the Asia region. Handy. In any event, we are faring much better than many of our friends in Houston, who still lack power even 2+ weeks after Hurricane Ike.
Anyway, we are happy to be here and are getting used to it. It is still rainy season, so it is still very rainy and humid - we live just a couple minutes from Manila Bay too, which doesn't help humidity-wise. Hopefully we will get some pictures up next week when we get our air shipment delivered.
Congratulations. Our friends, Mark and Lisa Johnson just left Manila after 4 years there. He travels back frequently still. I am not sure how that might be helpful but if it can please let me know. The islands have now moved into my 5 year top 5.
ReplyDeletePeter. I salute you. Sheralie too. I wish I could send you all a nice, long nap.
ReplyDeleteOh! That jetlag sucks so bad!! The next time you go through Tokyo, stay at the Raddison up the road. They have a free shuttle from Narita, and it is a really nice hotel for not too much Yen. Narita is a great airport (or did you fly into Haneda?). Did you guys explore the upper deck and watch the planes take off? Our kids always loved that. And the McDonald's upstairs. I would never eat it in a million years in the States, but after Russian food for months, Mickie D's is really good! Best of luck getting settled. Air shipment day will be a fun day.
ReplyDeleteOh my!!! You guys deserve some kind of medal!!! Best of luck settling in!
ReplyDeleteWow. We flew to Japan with one toddler. One kid was really hard. Three is amazing. Sheralie, you are a champ. I always cheer for the wives because, well, I am one.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I can't agree enough - awards all around (especially for Sheralie)!
ReplyDeleteYes you definitely want to always pledge that your car seat meets all regulations, because I fail to see how a loose baby on a plane is going to be better than one in a non-regulation car seat. Sounds like a loooong trip.
ReplyDeleteSounds like an adventure. I have done the Tokyo trip before. Can't imagine tacking Manila on the end of it.
ReplyDeleteHi, My name is Angela Anderson. I live in Manila and am cousins with Karl Israelsen. Anyway, I heard you were moving here. I hope to meet Sheralie soon at our LDS expats group. And the rest of your family at our potlucks. Welcome to Manila. If you need anything let us know. My husband and I would be happy to help. Hope to meet you soon! jaxandgabsmom@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteAnglea
I have a theory that the movies that don't fare well at the box office try to make some money by selling the rights to the airlines for cheaper than other movies, which is why only the crappier movies are on flights. I have no validation of this whatsoever, but it's what makes sense to me.
ReplyDeleteWhew! What a journey. I definitely need a nap now.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you mad it in one piece and we can't wait for pictures and more!