5 am: Wake up with severe pain in my knee. I can barely walk on it. The pain does go away after a while though. It was like my knee was asleep, but more painful than usual. I spent the night in Baltimore, and the rest of the family came up that morning.
7:30 am: Line up at the starting line. It is cold and windy. Fortunately they have included gloves in the goodie bag for the race, as I will wear them almost the entire race.
8:00 am: Start of the race. It is pretty crowded for the first several miles. I am running with the 4:00 pace group. I notice a runner with a serious mullet.
8:30 am: Feeling good. I decide to leave the 4:00 pace group behind and try to find some running room. It is nice and cool.
9:00 am: Feeling very good. This marathon running thing is a breeze. I spot a juggler on the course. Fortunately, I see him running the opposite way on the course (meaning he is a couple miles behind me).
10:00 am: Pass the halfway mark at 1:57:26, just under a 9-minute pace, which is where I want to be. Several years ago, I ran a half-marathon and was woefully under-prepared and finished in 2:31, so this is a big improvement. Feeling good, though the wind is picking up. The runners have started to spread out more.
10:45 am: Not feeling good. Just after the halfway point, the elevation started a slow and steady rise (from mile 16 to 22), which is painful. The wind is now a beast (or do I just notice it more now because I am slowing down?). Also, at mile 16 we join up with the half-marathon, which makes the road thick again with runners. Psychologically, I am not happy to be with these runners who have only been running a few miles after I have already knocked out so many.
11:15 am: Coming to the end of the rise in elevation (mercifully!) I can see runners running on a street perpendicular to ours and heading back in the direction of Camden Yards (the end of the race). However, upon reaching these runners, we turn to the right (they are running to my left) and find that before I can join the runners on the road home, I have to circle a 2-mile lake! At least the lake is level and it kind of feels like a track since it goes in a circle.
12:00 pm: What am I still doing running after four hours?! Legs are aching. I am starting to hear several songs on my playlist for the second time.
12:20 pm: Slow and steady to the finish line. Just keep running. I pass my fantastic cheering squad on the last half mile. Kudos to Sheralie for hauling four kids all the way out there. They snapped a picture of me running away:
12:30 pm: It was great to finish running through Camden Yards. I was also motivated to keep my legs moving to get under 4 1/2 hours, which I did with a time of 4:29:03. Very happy to finish! And very hungry as well.
Overall, it was a great experience, and a great motivation to keep training all year. It was definitely long. I will probably do another one, though I will take a little break before I start thinking about it again. Thanks for all the well wishers and encouragement.
After the race next to Camden Yards
Relaxing with the finisher's medal.
Note: You may not be able to see it, but it is a number "10" to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Baltimore Marathon. Jeffrey saw a different runner with it and thought it meant that he got 10th place in the marathon.
Final stats: overall #1892 out of 3359, for men: #1317 out of 2124, and for M 30-34, #201 out of 328
Nice job. Too bad about the uphill. We'll have to race some time.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I'm considering running a 1/2 marathon. We'll see. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI'm starting to catch this fever... I think I'll start with a 5k and see how my feet hold up.
ReplyDeleteIt was very inspiring watching the runners and cheering them on. I have never been to a marathon before and found the indomitable human urge to conquer almost tangible. It made me want to set my own goals a little higher and push myself a little more.
ReplyDeleteIf Lucy looks grumpy, don't worry, she was. Fortunately she had the good sense to stop whining about the wind and sleep for an hour and a half while we were cheering for the runners.
Laird, as usual, made friends (with a half marathoner) who made him promise to run a marathon in 15 years. It gives him plenty of time to prepare!
Way to go, Pete. We're impressed and cheering you even after the fact. An admirable accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteOutstanding achievement! I'm very impressed and proud of you! It almost sounds like you had an easier time at this marathon than the half marathon you ran in Huntsville!
ReplyDeleteWoo-hoo. That is awesome!! I, in a moment of craziness last spring, signed up for my first half marathon which will take place in a few weeks. It was fun reading your play-by-play. Why isn't your face red and sweaty at the end??? There must have been a little time before those last pictures were taken, right? If not, I'm totally jealous because after the second mile of running, my face starts to look like a big sweaty red apple. Sheralie, you are awesome for bringing the kids out to cheer Pete on.
ReplyDeletenice work. i must say your story has inspired me to complete one myself. we should schedule one for all of us to do.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Pete! What an awesome experience. I love the play-by-play. . . although you're pictures make it look like a total walk in the park! You don't look tired at all!
ReplyDeleteI like the posters, Sheralie. How fun for the kids!
Great job Pete! What an amazing accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteawesome. You won't catch me even trying for that... I will stick to biking. Maybe the Century? (100 miles biking) Thats about all I could do. I am so impressed!! wow!
ReplyDeletePeter, you are the man! We are so proud of your accomplishment and impressed with your discipline and determination! You inspire us!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I love running it's the best. I like the idea of telling as many people as possible, it's all about motivation.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Pete! And what a wonderful wife you have to allow you to train for a marathon. You both deserve a "finishers" medal!
ReplyDelete