Jeffrey in action playing dodgeball? volleyball? at the end of wall climbing. Wall climbing is a once a week after school activity for an hour. The facilities - gymnasium, walls, etc, are excellent. The staff is kind and helpful. Laird and Lucy love to stay afterward to play in the gymnastics equipment.
Laird rests after running and jumping around the gymnasium. Laird loves coming to Jeffrey's school. It is the highlight of his day. We usually stay a good 30-45 minutes after coming so the children can play on the clean equipment (the only clean park I have found here in the city) and mosquito-free grass (park and grass not pictured). It takes 15-30 minutes to commute from home to school so the playtime helps us break it up before we head back home again.
Jeffrey getting ready to demonstrate his tricks. I love his PE uniform. So comfortable. He has grown this year and will be ready for the next size up in all of his uniform apparel next year. He was the only American boy in his class this year. His closest friends are from: Argentina, Korea, China, and New Zealand. They prefer to race after school and constantly update the rankings of who is fastest.
Lucy thinks about what she wants to do next. This gym is fantastic and a great place when it is raining. Her favorites include the swings (not too high, please) as well as the sandbox. She gets around very well and surprises most children with her independence. Since we come every day she acts like she can do anything on the playground - and she can!
I have been impressed with so many aspects of the school. The playground and facilities are clean and well maintained and very large. The teachers seem energetic, balanced, happy, and eager to assist parents and children alike. The variety of subjects expose children to art and music and PE in many varieties, from Picasso to yoga and swimming and culturally diverse and very age-appropriate music. The math books come from the University of Chicago lab schools (yeah!) and Jeffrey came home from school eager to read and learn more. The general attitude of the school promote learning in a child friendly manner. I love the poetry on Fridays and an assembly or concert each Friday as well. Most of all I love the attitude of this school. Instead of being constantly worried about rules and mandates, they worry about learning and helping the students and parents. The goal is for children who have balance in their lives and learn a great deal. We had a great year and look forward to a fun summer and another year of school here.
I'm so glad J gets to go to a school like that. It must make life much easier for you to know that he is so well-cared for at school. I hope you have a great summer!
ReplyDeleteI so love international schools! Our experience was very similar- lots of cultural and fine arts exposure as well as top-notch academics. I also loved how the kids were put first and never compared to others- my children have never had a "grade" on a paper. I appreciated that my children were given lots of hugs, kisses and pats on the back by their teachers. Kids need that! And it's considered inappropriate in the US- so sad! I'm glad you're having a good experience there.
ReplyDelete...and that is what I love about our school as well! I appreciate that the teachers really know and care about my boys! It provides a better balance of life. Of all the things I don't want to go back to the US for is the public school mentality and attitude. I will be very sad to leave this type of atmosphere when the time comes. So glad you are getting some of the same wonderful experiences.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are at a fantastic school!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great year for Jeffery. I am so glad that you have found such a remarkable school for him. He is getting such a excellent, well-rounded education. I love the picture of cute Lucy. Laird has grown so much since you moved. Jeffery is as handsome as ever.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that he has such a great school to go to. It was fun to hear your voice through your writing.
ReplyDelete