Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Letter to My Mother

Mom waiting with Dad after Mel's wedding


Dear Mom,

I wish to write you a little letter expressing my gratitude and love for you. I am very grateful to have such a dedicated mother. The older I get the more I realize that you are incredibly wise and a great example to me. Today in church the closing speaking called his mother his first teacher and I thought that was beautiful. I wish to note some of the things you have taught me:


To have faith. You encourage faith in your walk and talk. Daily you encourage faith and discuss faith promoting experiences. I can say that you have helped me gain my testimony more than any other person. Thank you.


To work hard. You have been such a good example to me of working hard. I know I didn't seem grateful at the time, but I am so grateful for those hours we weeded and worked and sweat in the yard! I love how you had us pick something to plant in the garden and tend it all year. I miss our family in the kitchen making jam or working/singing/dancing/doing dishes together after dinner. Thank you.


To cook. I have more memories of us cooking together than anything else. I still remember you teaching me to make a pie crust and key lime pie . . . or how to knead bread and rub it with butter after it bakes. I am so grateful for the knowledge and skills you passed along to me and am grateful every day to feel comfortable in the kitchen. My husband and children also appreciate these skills! Thank you.


To care for the one. Like President Monson, one of your greatest strengths is to care for the one. You have an amazing ability to see who needs your help and then to quietly find ways to help them. I am grateful for the times you took us along on your errands of service. You truly have blessed countless lives because of your willingness to serve with all of your heart, might, mind and strength. Thank you.


To use talents for service. You have taught all of your children to play the piano so they can play the hymns at any time. You shared your talents whenever they were needed - whether at the organ, on the piano, or leading primary music! Almost every week I find myself grateful for your foresight and wisdom in teaching us to play the piano.
Thank you.

I hope I can share these valuable lessons with my children. I love you.

Love,

Sheralie

3 comments:

  1. When I think of the ideal mother, I often think of your Mom. Oft times I find myself saying "what would Aunt Bev do?". You were truly blessed to have been raised by such a remarkable woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sheralie - I love this. Your mother is amazing - just like you.

    Thank you for sharing all those wonderful talents and attributes.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same way about your mother as Janell does. Everytime we go to your mom and dad's I go away feeling loved, special, and inspired to be a better wife and mother. I'm glad that you recognize these things in your mother too- although I don't know how you couldn't.

    ReplyDelete