Our dive of a resort was next to a row of nepa huts. I don't think they had electricity, plumbing, or modern conveniences.
We chanced to find some families setting up the fishing nets. The nets were out in the water, in a large semi-circle. The nets had been set up earlier and suddenly there was a great commotion. Fish!
Men, women and children came running and grabbed hold of the sides of the net. They dragged the nets for quite some time. The children helped, and the women right there too. They pulled it low to the ground to keep the fish contained.
The fun part was dividing up the small fish and big fish among the families. I was completely fascinated by the routine. Most of it was without words, they knew how much everyone needed.
The children were sweet and happy. Their beach front properties are quite humble. The men fish, the women cook, and the children play. Yet, it seems their needs for shelter and food and clothing are sufficient.
I love this look into an unknown (to me) world. My eyes are actually wet.
ReplyDeleteThe coolest part about staying in a local dive is that you usually get a better look into the actual culture of the locals, and your fish story is pretty cool. In Nepal, I stayed at some mountain "hotels" that had no electricity, heating, just a wood stove, but the things I saw were pretty cool. It's amazing how much you can see if you sacrifice a little comfort.
ReplyDeleteAlso, in your last post, I was impressed at your taking on the rural roads with all those random vehicles on it. I've been on a lot of those roads, but always have been glad to not be the driver. Nice work.