Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Ode to the internet

Isn't the internet great? Cue Kip from Napolean Dynamite singing "I Love Technology". I'd like to take a minute and recognize the top 10 websites that currently influence my life:

10. Netflix.com - the best video store in the world.

9. Weather.com - I guess people in the old days watched the 5:00 news weatherman. I'm way ahead of them.

8. Yahoo Finance/Movies/Sports/My Yahoo - There are a lot of good news sites, but I like Yahoo a lot. Maybe it's their longevity, maybe it's their free fantasy sports games.

7. Harris County Public Library - Now that libraries are online, I can find my book or movie, have it sent to my branch, and pick it up quickly. It's brilliant.

6. Craigslist - National classified ads absolutely free. If Ebay is not well designed to handle it, chances are that Craigslist is.

5. Blogs - Blogs are great. Much better than newsletters or Christmas cards as a way to keep in touch with people. I would particularly like to mention my cousin Heidi's blog and recognize her work on the Bloggies and award her a "Best Overall Blog" (However, if you don't know Heidi, I don't think you will get much out of the blog). A companion site to blogs is sitemeter.com which can track how much traffic your blog gets.

4. LDS.org - While the church is sometimes slow to adopt new technology (modems at the church are still dial up), I am glad they have worked on this site. I never have to worry about where the ward list is - because it's always online. As well as audio and text talks, scriptures and other resources.

3. Ebay - There are very few things I think of that I cannot buy on Ebay. Garage sales are so 20th century. Ebay is like one never ending national garage sale. Not to mention a lot of people make a decent living selling stuff there.

2. Amazon - most of my Christmas shopping was done here. I also enjoy the reviews, selling items and the deal of the day.

1. Google - as a portal to gmail, documents and blogs, you can't beat it.

Please feel free to share any other websites that you find makes your life a little bit better.

3 comments:

  1. Tim got me hooked on a little website called Slick Deals where you'll find deals on just about anything....

    www.slickdeals.net

    it gets to be just as addicting as going to craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks, Pete. I couldn't have done it without the support from viewers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love diynetwork.com and ehow.com- if you have questions, they have answers. For free. Not $60/10 minutes sometime between the hours of 8am and 6pm.

    ReplyDelete