Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Change is Good; Changing is Hard

Jeffrey's class motto in first grade was "Change is Good" and it made me think. I don't mind change, I usually enjoy it. But it is the transition time, the changing, which I find so difficult. With that in mind, it has been a wild month of living out of our suitcases and changing.

The trip here was remarkably uneventful, besides losing my makeup bag. The children were extremely good and slept better than we expected on our multiple leg trip that lasted about 24 hours. I had tremendously low expectations for the trip and we felt blessed to lose no luggage or children. A special thanks to Pete for buying the Harry Potter books as well as lego mini figure sticker book and a Snow White DVD which were a big hit.

However, changing our body clocks back 12 hours was a bit of a nightmare. But let's skip that part. Our new house is cute and cozy, our neighbors quite friendly. We are already settling in: ward, the school, the van, the work, the city. Laird informed me,

"Virginia seems regular. I thought it would be more like India."

Thank goodness! Here is a brief summary of the changes for everyone in the family:

Pete now stretches his mind studying Spanish 8 or more hours a day. He has already learned a great deal in two weeks with classes, presentations, and an array of study devices. He is out running in preparation for the marathon next month.

Reverse cultureshock has been my big surprise coming home. Is it possible that a country is really so vast, forested, with clean and new buildings? After living in a city with people stuffed in buses and malls and homes, it seems so empty and orderly here. Driving at 55 mph seems frightening after not going faster than 25 mph in two years. I feel most comfortable in heavy traffic. And apparently having four children makes most people I meet here fumbling for words. I am still adjusting.

Jeffrey enjoys his new school which luckily includes Spanish twice a week. After meeting his teacher, Jeff said, "I feel like I always get the best teachers!" Jeffrey has not only been visited at home by his new Primary teacher, but also by his new Cub Scout leader. He has been excited about for scouts for YEARS.



Laird has begun piano lessons and already can play the Star Wars Theme. Only five days before the first day of school, we decided not to enter him in kindergarten this year. He has been very helpful at home and loves to make James laugh. He has discovered the joys of reading are almost as great as playing legos.



Not taking lessons, just having fun.

Lucy found packing up to be incredibly difficult but already adores our new house and van. She is especially glad her little white table has arrived so she can help me mix and stir for meal times. She also has her babies' crib set up next to James's crib and has found that her futon bed also works well to read all five of her babies stories.

James is crawling - teething - and off. He loves to eat, anything and everything we give him. Or anything he can manage into his mouth (last night he crawled into the fireplace!!) Pete currently entertains him and feeds him at the dinner table every night, much to James's delight.

This is a terribly long post and thanks if any of you have made it through. We are excited to be back in the States and hope to see you if we can! More photos to come.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made back safely with no major incidents. I hear you about changing. It can be hard but is also nice to meet new people, see new place, and learn new things. Welcome back to the states!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the info! Your family is so sweet and you are "one tough lady". You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I thought it would be more like India." hilarious.

    Glad your back on solid ground! So good to hear from you. . .

    Clayton starts scouts today!!! He is SO excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when are you off to El Salvador? Is that still the plan?

    I remember coming home from Russia and finding it very, very hard to grocery shop. All the choices were too overwhelming, and I would get really anxious. I had to acclimate myself to Target and Walmart by just walking around for awhile and not buying anything. It was weird to say the least! I expected to be really excited to have all the variety again, but it wasn't like that at all!

    Good luck settling down again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the trip went well! I remember growing up in the DC area with 5 kids was a shockingly large quantity to most. Say hi to the temple there for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can write a long post anytime. I'll read to the bottom, promise. Switching back is harder than switching forward, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post...for me the longer the better! I imagine the culture shock and adjustment back has many facets to it. While there are many things you appreciate about America, I know you will hang on to the many things you love about the Philippines and the people. I believe that you are doing an exceptional job of helping your family through this huge transition! I Love you! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear from you. You're amazing. I just think you can do anything! If you want to join my "I hate dealing with jet lag with kids" club, you can. I don't know what we do in it, but I think it's there anyway. :) We've only done eight hours, I don't think I'd like 12. Yikes! Your kids are amazing and clever. I miss them. Andrew is now about the age that Laird was when we got to TX. I love to think about how Laird liked Josh to pass him the sacrament! :) I think change is hard for most people...although we know it's a good thing, it's still rough. Hang in there. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes -- the transition time is tough! (That's where we are right now, too . . . we just arrived in England yesterday). At any rate, I'm glad to hear that you're settling in and I hope everything feels normal soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. um, losing a makeup bag is no small matter. i'm glad you're surviving. keep us posted. i still haven't heard where your next post is... i assume somewhere spanish speaking...

    ReplyDelete